Eight years ago today I had roux en y gastric bypass surgery. Do not say it. I already made that clear in my previous post.
Since then it’s been a whirlwind of ups and downs — but mostly — it’s been good. I often refer to my life as a country song. Because it is.
But you know what? Regardless of the roller coaster of life —
I am still a technical weight loss surgery success story. I lost the weight. The end. It’s sort of true?
I might be hanging on to that by the literal skin of my teeth, BUT, I’m going to claim it until it’s gone. And, if I lose it you better believe I will fix it. Carnie Wilson ain’t got nothing on me. I’ve often said that I would have Every Single Bariatric Procedure There Was just so that I’d have first-hand knowledge about it so as to BLOG FOR-EVER and drive my haters insane. So. Yes, if the time came, I would revise my surgery.
This last year (…or two) in the life of a MM has been especially trying. To be perfectly frank, I am surprised that I did not* –
- A. Gain 50 pounds or more
- B. Run away and joined the circus or
- C. Start chemical dependency or
- D. Get put on a semi-permanent mental vacation
I’m not going to rehash all of the yuck of year seven, but needless to say, I am GLAD it’s over.
Feel free to peruse the archives, as much of it is still published. If some of it does not seem to connect, it may be that I have deleted bits and pieces.
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
There is some bad belly drama, some interweb drama, and a lot of personal/life implosion drama.
I am pleased to report that things have settled down — oddly enough in almost all areas. (You might want to knock on wood right NOW.) It is strange how that happens. But I will take it. Life is nowhere near perfect, and I haven’t been writing about much of it because of that, but know that things ARE better. It’s funny, someone sent me a message a couple months ago — saying that she didn’t think I Had It All Together. Well, OBVIOUSLY?
Although, sometimes when things get better in one area — other areas fail.
And here we ARE — another year down!
Health wise –
The gut pain of the last year plus seems to have subsided or at least is now cyclical. I can’t pinpoint what it is, but I am willing to bet it’s an irritated bowel issue with constipation that causes pain. I had some testing done to rule out a major issue – so I am just thankful that it seems to have waned dramatically recently.
My brain is not doing so well. I’m currently averaging 2-3 seizures every week. I tend to follow a pattern following a hormonal path. It seems that I have seizures during ovulation and menses, 2-3 in a single or two days and they stop. It could be more, but I am only aware of the seizures that are witnessed or that I am symptomatic. I am making a trip to the neurologist next week to discuss new treatment options because the current treatment is not doing enough.
Where am I weight wise?
Don’t ask — I’m on a slight upswing — somewhere between 169-173 lbs. Okay, I weighed in. I felt bad NOT having a weigh in for this post. 169. It’s better than I thought, and in the middle of the day.
However it’s my average. I had one “low” in the last year, when I was living on my own over the summer, I dipped down in the low 160’s for a while. I have basically maintained in the same range for a very long time. It’s sort of a non-issue until I go above where I am right now.
The last year was chock-full of fun things. I got the chance to go to many events –
- 2011 – Obesity Action Coalition + Ethicon Endosurgery Online Influencer Forum
- WLSFA Event, Las Vegas, May 2011 – Vendor – Bariatric Bad Girls Club
- ASMBS 2011 Orlando
- Obesity Help Bellevue, WA Event 2011
- Obesity Help New Orleans, LA Event 2011
- Obesity Help Long Island, NY Event 2011
- Obesity Help Carribean Cruise, March 2012
See? We were having fun, damn it.
What’s ahead for this year?
More of This New Calm. I sort of like it.
Lots of product-trying.
Maybe some brain-fixing.
Perhaps a little weight loss.
And, then some fun and learning —
- May 2012 – Las Vegas, NV WLSFA Meet and Greet
- June 17-22 2012 – ASMBS 2012
- September 6-8 – Live Support Group Leader Certification
- September 2012 – Fitbloggin’ 2012, Baltimore, MD
- October 5-7 2012 – Obesity Help Event – Atlanta, GA
- October 25-27 – Obesity Action Coalition Event – Dallas, TX
- Make sure you read — I hate the term surgiversary… Eight years post op part 1. …with an undying passion. And you know what? Today is my eight year “surgiversary.” And, yes… I’m waiting for my party. *sits quietly in wait* I’ll be here when you’re ready. Full Article…